Saturday, June 18, 2011

Plans for the future: Psychoka

I wonder if I'll ever come up with a more original name for this? It works, though.

As I mentioned before, this is a game I'm planning, heavily inspired by the anime "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" (Highly recommended, though it definitely isn't for everyone.) In it, each player will be a freshly contracted magical girl, who was granted a wish by a magical, invisible animal like cute mascot creature for the price of fighting the evil "Eidolons".

This being a major source of inspiration for him. Source, Inaba Taiju.


The Eidolons themselves are akin to Jungian Shadows they are the darker side of people literally given flesh. They escape from their former hosts when their hearts are broken. The idea for this initially came to me as it seems like something almost cute and minor, half the enemies would be caused by nothing more then simple high school relationships going south as they do, but as anyone who's had some sort of sufficiently breaking trauma can atest, there's far worse things that can cause just as much heartache, and even the minor things like said breakups to some people are a lot worse...
GonzaHerMeg showing a minor and adorable example in action.

The sheer amount of monster ideas this has given me already has made this wonderful. I'm hoping that this, especially when the Eidolons originate from regular NPCs or even the PCs themselves will add a wonderful element of three dimensionality to things, as they see a bit more of their friends or themselves then they wanted to.

The game is still very much in its planning stages, I haven't nearly got enough of an end game, which I've always held as the most important part to have planned right from the start, nor even an entirely set up player base, but this will be a topic of major discussion here in the future.

Of course, I can only mention so much, at least some of my players view this, so the specifics may not be mentioned, but when important, I also always try and give spoiler warnings.

1 comment:

  1. >I also always try and give spoiler warnings.
    Spoiler warnings are a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete